This guide is for canva.com-desktop only. It may not work as described with canva mobile app.
If you’ve never touched Canva before, we recommend visiting this Canva Design School and watching some video tutorials. Don’t worry; Canva is very user-friendly, and this won’t take long. You can also read our Tips & Trick Editing Canva Template.
Activate Guideline for Carousel Editing
The guidelines will help you determine the border in the Instagram puzzle template. It is really simple to activate.
Head on File then click on Show guides or you can use a shortcut by pressing the key: ctrl + ;
Changing the background & element color on Canva
To change the background color, follow these simple steps:
- Click ‘Background’ on the left toolbar menu (if there is no ‘Background’ menu, click on ‘More’ first).
- Choose the color you like.
- The background color will automatically change to the color you choose.
To change the element color, follow these simple steps:
- Click on the element that you want to change.
- Then the color swatch in the top left-hand corner will appear.
- You can change the color to any shade you want.
How to add your own images on Canva
To add an image, you can upload your own image or search through Canva’s photo collection. Follow these simple steps:
- Go to the ‘Uploads’ on the left panel and choose ‘Upload’ or you can also search from Canva’s photo collection in the ‘Photos’ menu on the left toolbar.
- Click ‘Upload Media’ and then select the source channel.
- Navigate to the image/video you want to upload.
- Add your image to the template by dragging it and dropping it onto the template.
How to change the font on Canva
To change text or font of the template, follow these simple steps:
- Select the text you want to edit (double click if you want to change the text).
- To access the Fonts library, click the drop-down in the toolbar.
- To change the text color, or change the font format, you can find it on the top toolbar.
Downloading your template on Canva
- Click the ‘Export’ button in the upper right corner to begin exporting your work. A dropdown will appear.
- Select ‘Download’.
- Change the file type to PNG (If you choose JPG, you can only download 80% quality with Free Canva Account).
- To be able to choose which page to download, click the one you want in ‘Select Pages’.
- Click ‘Download’.
Split the template into 10 images
Note. Canva currently does not support image splitting inside the app. Here is a way to split your template into an 5-images grid:
- Visit free online image splitter.
- Upload your template.
- Set the columns at 1 and change the rows to 5.
- Expand the selected area over the entire image.
- Click ‘Split image’.
- The file will be saved to your download folder as a Zip file. Unzip and upload to your Instagram.
- Repeat the steps for the second image, so that all become 10 templates carousel.
Image Splitter will number the images for you. Post each photo in the order shown on the image, from least to greatest (first number 1, then number 2, 3, 4, etc…).
UPDATE: if the above website gives an error file after splitting, you can try this site instead: PineTools Image Splitter
Convert canva slider carousel template for video use
Actually, most of Canva’s carousel slider template is more for images, however, there’s a little trick if you want to use it for video posts. Check the video.
NOTE: To plan your Instagram posts ahead of time, you can use a scheduling tool like Canva Pro’s Content Planner.
Use our Instagram mockup to see how your posts will look on your profile.
Tag EssenceStock on Instagram @essencestock